Saturday, June 2, 2007

Bush's warm enviornment

I've been trying not to do only political blogs, but I came across an article by Rupert Cornwell in The Independent, and I thought it was wonderful. He parses the president's half-baked token speech on curbing global warming. Here's an excerpt:

"From the President's speech in Washington yesterday:

'In recent years, science has deepened our understanding of climate change and opened new possibilities for confronting it.'

Translation: In recent years, my refusal to acknowledge the reality and seriousness of global warming has turned me into a laughing-stock and contributed to my record low poll ratings. So now I have to look interested.

'The United States takes this issue seriously.'

Translation: Al Gore takes this issue seriously, his movie was a hit, and it's causing me no end of grief.

'By the end of next year, America and other nations will set a long-term goal for reducing greenhouse gases.'

Translation: By the end of next year, I'll be weeks away from the end of my presidency and this can be someone else's problem.

'To develop this goal, the United States will convene a series of meetings of nations that produce the most greenhouse gasses, including nations with rapidly growing economies such as India and China.'

Translation: We will look as busy as we can without doing anything."

This is a perfect example of how this president seems to believe that sounding tough and statesman-like will somehow solve a problem. The whole article can be found at:

http://environment.independent.co.uk/climate_change/article2600484.ece

1 comment:

Dr. Eric said...

Oops, it turns out that this "translation" of Bush was written by Andrew Gumbel.