Thursday, May 31, 2007

I'd much rather be wrong

Back when we were running up to the war in Iraq, I said to some friends that I believed this would involve us in a civil war for the next 50 years. Today in the Washington Post I read:

"President Bush envisions a long-term U.S. troop presence in Iraq similar to the one in South Korea where American forces have helped keep an uneasy peace for more than 50 years, the White House said Wednesday.

... [Tony] Snow said it was impossible to say if U.S. troops would remain in Iraq for some 50 years, as they have in South Korea. 'I don't know,' he said.'"It is an unanswerable question. But I'm not making that suggestion. ... The war on terror is a long war.'"

When I estimated 50 years, I thought I was exaggerating. I really hope I'm wrong on this one... at this rate, we're talking over 50,000 US casualties, and who knows how many more Iraqi casualties in that time!

2 comments:

Gene Cowan said...

It seems like the ordinary man on the street was better at predicting the outcome of the Iraq mess much better than the White House.
Unless, of course, this is all exactly what they had in mind from the beginning.
Read an interesting report that claims that Bush wants Iraq to stay at this level because he wants his successor to have to continue his world view...

Dr. Eric said...

I read that too.